Welcome to the RealTown Real Estate Network!
Member Login | Join RealTown
The Real Estate Network

RealTown Words

Sounds Like: buyer’s broker
A broker who represents the buyer in a fiduciary capacity. Some buyer’s brokers practice single agency, in which they represent either buyers or sellers, but never both in the same transaction. Some buyers’ brokers represent only buyers and refer prospective sellers to other brokers—these brokers are referred to as exclusive buyer brokers. The broker is paid by the buyer, or through the seller or listing broker at closing, provided all parties consent.

With the widespread acceptance of buyer representation, there is a good probability that the listing firm will also have a buyer-client interested in one of its listings. Many companies develop office policy based on whether to continue representing both clients under designated agency or a consensual dual agency or whether to refer out one of the clients (single agency). Web sites: www.rebac.net and www.naeba.org
Dearborn Real Estate Education
This "Word of the day" is excerpted from The Language of Real Estate, 6th Edition by John Reilly (published by Dearborn Real Estate Education, 2006 copyright). To purchase the complete book, with over 2800 key terms and definitions, or to browse through Dearborn's hundreds of other professional real estate titles, including Real Estate Technology Guide by Klein, Barnett, Reilly, click here.