The 15th Annual Hot August Night in Hammond takes place this Friday, August 20, 2010 in the downtown area from 6-10pm. Hot August Night is meant to be a fun way to beat the summer heat. There is something for everyone here. There will be an art stroll, wine tasting at several shops, restaurants and offices and super deals at different downtown Hammond boutiques and shops that are going on only during the Hot August Nights event. The schedule of some of the evening's fun includes:
- Autograph Session With Saints Football Player - 6pm, Chuck's Field of Dreams.
- "Lil Bill" Hurricane Reconnaissance Aircraft- 6pm, Louisiana Children's Discovery Center. See aircraft from the Air National Guard, TJ the DJ and Hammond Fire Department's"Pluggie".
- SLU Community Music School Violins Demonstration - 6-8pm, Hammond Regional Art Center. Includes fall art school demo.
- Hammond's Hottest Talent- 7:30pm, La Carreta Band Stage. Four finalists will compete for the Hammond's Hottest Talent title and a $1000 grand prize.
- Beach Blanket Bingo Screening- 8pm, Columbia Theatre. For $7 per person, enjoy a special screening of this classic 1965 movie starring Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello.
- True Too Life Concert- 8:30pm, La Carreta Band Stage.
- Vintage Fashion Show - 8:30pm, Vintage 106.
In addition to the live music taking place on the LaCarreta Band Stage, there will be musical performances by Detective Fish at Tommy's on Thomas, Biscuithound at Discovery Furniture & Finds, Kevin Schexnayder at PJ's Coffee & Tea Co, New Orleans Strathspey & Reel Society at Keith Davis and AMP'D Brass Band at Vintage 106.
A few other things you should check out are the free lemonade samples given out by KSLU 90.9 FM at PJ's Coffee & Tea Co, Boy Scout Troop 316 offering snowballs for sale near Change Clothes, fresh produce, gifts and much more for sale by various Hammond vendors on the lawn behind La Carreta and tea and lemonade being sold by the Main Street Dance Studio next to Bayou Booksellers.
Enjoy Hot August Night in Hammond this Friday, August 20, 2010. You'll have a great time, interact with your neighbors and support local Hammond businesses. How can you go wrong?