Top 10 Spring Cleaning Tips for Real Estate Agents
Surrounded by Clutter?
After burrowing in for winter, you may find you are surrounded by clutter! Even those of us in the warm climes (yes, they DO exist!) can benefit from a yearly ritual of throwing out the old and making space for the new.
I am not just talking about physical space, either. It's time to clean out all of your systems. Your databases are your daily working capital and the foundation of your business today and in the future. Do they need some spring cleaning? Your body is the vehicle through which you get things done -- does it need some fine tuning? Your clientele can be great or drain energy … who should you let go of?
As a coach, I encourage my clients to work on the attraction principle. What I am referring to is the ability to attract, like a magnet to you, the people and situations to grow your business to your desired vision. Though it may sound a bit woo-woo, when you are working in the flow of things-not resisting what's coming at you-you are able to almost effortlessly attract what you really desire. Having space for this to come in is part of the equation. So a good spring cleaning can free up that space!
The list below contains many areas you may want to take a look at. If you want to take this a step further, there is an assessment called Clean Sweep designed by Coachu that will help you get your whole life squeaky clean!
Your Top 10 Spring Cleaning Areas
1. Your Office Files and Folders -- Are your file drawers stuffed with no room for the new stuff? Clean out, throw out or store. Put one to two hours on your calendar each week to tackle this until it is done.
2. Your Databases -- Have you segmented your databases? Your goal is at least three lists: Begin with a short list of the 20% who give you 80% of your referrals on this list. These are the people who are your biggest supporters and with whom you'll form the deepest relationships. Then there are the people you want to stay in touch with less often, but regularly. And finally the "suspects" and long term potential clients. If you aren't using real estate related software or Pat Zaby's Respond program (which turns Outlook into a real estate specific tool), make this a priority to get it set up. If you ever want an "escape" from real estate, this information is what you'll have to "sell" or negotiate with.
3. Your Rolodex -- As you segment your databases, this is part of the process. Take out of there the jerks. Life is definitely too short to work with people who treat you miserably. You don't need them.
4. Your Systems -- Reviewing or creating the systems to automate your business is a critical time effectiveness element. What systems need fine-tuning? What needs to be developed? How can you use what you already have to bring this to a higher standard? An example would be implementing the "Campaigns" in Respond or the "Action Plans" in Top Producer.
5. Your Bad Habits -- What gets in the way of you doing your best? Do you procrastinate? Refuse to delegate? Let the clutter and piles render you time challenged? Make a list of the habits to zap this year and then take 1 each month and upgrade the way you operate. For instance, in March, do not let a piece of paper cross your desk without filing, tossing or taking action on. You will find if you are consistent in being aware of the negative behavior and making a change, after about 3 weeks, you have formed a new habit. You could do that 13 times this year!!!
6. Your Stuff -- Do you need a Feng Shui Consultant or Professional Organizer to come in and get you squared away? Clutter drains energy--literally makes you tired. Free up space! The natural way things work is that space attracts because nature abhors a vacuum.
7. Your Attitude -- Thinking ... Take the storm windows down and put the screens up to let the fresh air in! What one belief, if you let go of it, would create the most joy in your life? One of mine has always been that you have to work hard to be successful. That has had me put a lid on my vision and goals because it looked like I would have to sacrifice other things I enjoyed to attain a really big goal. As I'd look around, I'd see others who are achieving BIG goals and the time they invest is not more than my investment into my business. This is probably true for you too.
Where have you limited or put a lid on yourself because you believe something to be true that was, in reality, just one possible way of looking at it? Everywhere you find you are limited or stopped, examine the "rule" you have made up that keeps you in that place. Then play with it by thinking up five other possible "rules" that could pertain. Or look at what other's that are successful have as their "rules". Hint: ask them!
8. Your Desk -- If you can, change the way it faces or its location. Give yourself a fresh point of view!
9. Your Equipment -- Are you tolerating equipment that needs replacing or upgrading? Look at your budget and make a list of what and when you will replace the less efficient equipment you have. Even though this costs money, there may be savings of time or other resources to offset the investment. Or maybe, it is what will take you to the next level in your business by the differentiation it will provide. This would include a spring cleaning of your Internet marketing and web site.
10. Your Clientele -- Do you have listings that are costing you money and never going to sell? Or buyers who are true lookey-loos? One of the reasons top producers are successful is because they don't try to take every piece of business available but skim the cream. If you are busy trying to keep that nasty seller happy or running around with the lookey-loos, you don't have time to prospect or work with the nicest people. Let go of the "bad" ones! If nothing else, you'll stop the abuse and feel better about yourself. You do not have to put up with people who do not respect what you do.
Now, print out and review this list. Make notes of which three areas would make the most difference for your business and situation. Then put actions on the calendar to take care of these 3 this month. Then watch the attraction principle go to work for you.
Consumer News, Industry
Top 10 Spring Cleaning Tips for Real Estate Agents
February 2, 2019