Latest Articles

2009-09-17 22:19:13

Newer Agents: Are You ’Down and Stumbling’ or ‘Up and Running’?


Newer agents: Are you ‘stumbling’ or ‘up and running’? It’s estimated that over 50% of new agents fail their first year in the business. From talking with thousands of them throughout my coaching, managing and speaking career, I know why: They can’t answer the questions below. In addition, they may be getting little guidance from their manager. Not having the combination of these two things almost assures their failure.
I’ve compiled 5 questions that will tell you why you’re either ‘stumbling’ or running—and what to do if you are stumbling.
Ask yourself:
1.       Do I have a ‘start-up’ plan—a plan that tells me what to do, when to do it, how to do it, and why to do it? (Or, do I just come to the office and ‘go with the flow’)
Key point: This isn’t an ‘on accident business’ anymore!
2.      Am I waiting for someone to tell me what to do each day, or do I have focus and purpose with my plan? (it doesn’t work to ask your manager what to do each day, and, as a newer agent just told me, your manager answers, “Mail some postcards.” You wouldn’t expect a Starbucks franchise to ‘guide’ the new franchisee that way, and you’re not going to get a business start with that kind of piecemeal ‘advice’!)
3.      Do I have a daily schedule that is prioritized with the business actions most important to me to assure I make money? (If you’re just relying on your office for its floor time and meeting schedule, or, worse yet, those awesome (ha!) Internet leads, you aren’t in the business!)
Key point: You should be scheduling at least 75% of your time. (the other 25% may be scheduled by your office—meetings, etc.)
4.      Do I know the best methods of lead generation—and how to implement them? (You can’t wait for ‘training’ that starts in 3 months to start your business!)
5.      Do I know the numbers? (how many contacts does it take to get a lead, how many leads to get an appointment, how many appointments to get a listing, showing, how many showings to get a sale, how many marketable listings will sell) (If you don’t, you are destined to be an ‘on accident’ agent—only selling someone something when the stars are aligned).
Key point: Knowing your conversion numbers puts you in the driver’s seat and allows you to really be independent—your own manager.
If you can’t answer the questions above with authority and confidence, you need much more business direction than you’re getting now. It’s time for you to get serious about real estate as a business, and grasp a start-up plan and the support you need to assure your success. Quit stumbling and get ‘up and running’!
Carla Cross, CRB, MA, is president of Carla Cross Seminars, Inc., and Carla Cross Coaching. She is an international speaker in real estate productivity. Carla is the author of 6 internationally published books and several productivity-producing programs for real estate agents and leadership, including the new 3rd edition of Up and Running in 30 Days. See her programs at, or contact Carla at 425-392-6914.

Related Post

Industry, Education

Negotiating Tip 114: Retreat Negotiations

March 29, 2019

Industry, Education

Negotiating Tip 113: Activating Our Opponent

March 28, 2019

Industry, Education

Negotiating Tip 112: Misconceptions

March 27, 2019

2021 Real Town The Real Estate Network