Earlier this week, we discussed the Boomerang Home Buyer trend in Central Austin. A style gaining popularity since 2005 is Prefab Modern, also called modern modular.
In a previous post, we debunked the myths of prefabricated homes. Top benefits included solid construction, shorter build times and green techniques.
WHAT'S SO COOL ABOUT MODERN PREFAB?
Most modern prefab home have green, sustainable elements. The companies in Austin use green construction materials, have less on-site waste, and use energy-efficient appliances. Modern prefab styles can be seen in all areas of Greater Austin, including popular "suburban" areas like Dripping Springs, Leader, and Buda.
TOP 5 TIPS TO AVOID THE DOWNSIDE OF PREFAB MODERN HOMES
When building a prefabricated modular home, keep these tips in mind to maximize appreciation and your home's value:
- Choose a reputable builder and design team. We've listed a few in Austin at the end of this article, but you don't have with stick local companies. Top prefab designers and specialists can design homes in any state.
- Secure financing first. Many lenders and appraisers aren't familiar with this product type.
- Get your contract and charges in writing. You need to know what's included versus extras.
- Know where you are building. Homes over 50 years old are subject to historical review in Austin. Some lots also have deed restrictions that may affect your build.
- Try to fit into your Austin neighborhood. Some ultra-modern plans look good next to neighbors while others are plain awkward. Your 3-story stark white, metal boxy design on a tiny lot may cause trouble with neighbors or worse, the city planning commission.
Modern prefabricated modular homes are typically completed in 4 months, about 1/2 or 1/3rd of the time for a stick-built.
Land costs in Greater Austin are not inexpensive. Even more surprising, many design-build teams charge 6-10% of the purchase price. Recent 1300 and 1600 square-foot homes in East Central Austin by KRDB were priced around $365,000 to $385,000.
READ MORE ABOUT PREFAB MODERN MODULAR HOMES
- Archive: modern prefab homes good green alternative.
- Add these top green real estate events to your calendar.
- Try These Quick Green Fixes!
- See modern modular builder, Michelle Kaufman Designs at LiveModern.com.
- Design-Build from Mark Meyer at Design Studio .
- KRDB website for ultra modern homes or their affordable MA-Modular
- Popular modern architects, Studio Momentum.