NAR Adds New Elective Options for the RSPS Certification
For the first time since the National Assn. of REALTORS launched the Resort and Second Home Property Specialist (RSPS) Certification in January 2006, a new path to earning the certification has been created and the list of electives applicants can choose from has been expanded. Applicants must still complete the two required core courses.
The RSPS Workgroup has approved the addition of the ABR® designation, the e-PRO® certification and all of the CIPS courses to the list of electives. This increases the list of electives from 11 to 18. In addition to the expanded list of electives, another path to earning the certification has been created. The CIPS (Certified International Property Specialists), CPM® (Certified Property Manager), and CRS (Certified Residential Specialist) designations are now accepted in place of the two elective courses. Members of the RSPS Workgroup decided that because the CIPS, CPM® and CRS designees have completed such extensive education and training, REALTORS® with these designations have already fulfilled the elective requirement needed to earn the RSPS Certification.
The new requirements will help foster networking and referral opportunities between members of IREM, CRS, REBAC, and NAR’s Resort and International Groups. NAR’s Resort and Second Home Markets course will count as an elective for the CRS designation. The course is already an elective for the ABR® designation.
The two required core courses for the RSPS have not changed. All applicants must successfully complete NAR’s Resort and Second Home Markets Course. US applicants must complete RLI’s Tax-Deferred (1031) Exchange Course. Non-US applicants must take the CIPS Investment and Financial Analysis for International Real Estate Course.
To review the new options, download the RSPS Certification Application (PDF: 287K) or see below.
The requirements for the Resort and Second Home Property Specialist are:
Part 1: Core Courses - Must complete both required core courses.
Required Core Course 1
1. NAR Resort & Second Home Markets Course – 2 Days or Online
Required Core Course 2
2. US Applicants: RLI Tax-Deferred (1031) Exchange Course – 2 Days or Online
2. Non-US Applicants: CIPS Investment and Financial Analysis for International Real Estate Course - 2 Days
Part 2: Electives - Choose either Option 1 or Option 2
Option 1: Elective Courses
A total of two elective courses are needed. Choose from the following:
- Accredited Buyer's Representative (ABR®) Designation
- Any CIPS course (Completing two courses fulfills option 1)
- CCIM Introduction to Commercial Investment Real Estate Analysis - 2 Day or Home Study CD-ROM
- CRB Generational Marketing - Home Study CD Only
- CRS 204 Creating Wealth Through Residential Real Estate Investments – 2 Days
- e-PRO® Certification
- IREM 101 Introduction to Managing Residential Properties (course is no longer offered)
- IREM 102 Introduction to Managing Small Business Properties (course is no longer offered)
- IREM01 Introduction to Real Estate Management - Online
- REBAC e-Buyer Course – 1 Day or Online
- SRES® Senior Real Estate Specialist Course
- WCR Networking and Referral Systems Course - 1 Day
- Attendance at an NAR Resort Symposium – 2 Days (Attendance at two Symposiums fulfills Option 1))
Option 2: Designations
Hold one of the following designations:
- Certified International Property Specialist (CIPS)
- Certified Property Manager® (CPM®)
- Certified Residential Specialist (CRS)
Negotiating Tip 114: Retreat Negotiations
March 29, 2019
Negotiating Tip 113: Activating Our Opponent
March 28, 2019
Negotiating Tip 112: Misconceptions
March 27, 2019